Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fair night! The kids were so excited. Each riding on their own floats. Luke on his grandfather's stage coach, Cora on her dance float.   It was like date night for Tom and I.  We hit the food stands like it was our job...French fries, tacos, gyro.....

As we stood in the crowd taking alternating bites from the gyro we were sharing we realized that Luke's float was coming--oh come on I thought! The parade Marshall said it would be at least two hours and here they were rounding the corner already....40 minutes in.  Well, date night over, commence parenting mode. It would only be a matter of time until we saw Cora's float as well.

Both kids collected we now stood with family and friends watching the parade. The kids were practically attacking the people that passed by handing out candy. I looked around and realized they weren't the only ones exhibiting such behavior so game on...with in reason of course.

The line of reason was eventually crossed which resulted in Luke being disciplined by Tom, including having to sit with us for a bit.  It was during this time out that I overheard a teenage boy, maybe 14, tell his dad that we seemed like strict parents...that we were being hard on our son....I said nothing, not even to Tom, but inside I was like " what do you know?" "how many eight year olds have you raised?"

The parade ended, we walked (and walked) back to our car, got home, showered kids and had them in bed by 10:30, all with no yelling.

Today I worked at yet another batch of pepper jam. I neatly lined up all my supplies, measured everything out, prepped my area and lined up my jars. I was ready.   As I worked with anal precision, the parade events played in my mind. Well, mostly the words of that know it all kid.

I don't think I am "strict"- I think I am a pretty cool mom; I just have expectations of my kids, especially in public. ....Why were this kids comments bothering me?

I started cleaning up my project and just like that it hit me.... I like square containers; you know, containers that you can stack and organize in the fridge. My least favorite containers are the ones that are shaped strangely and take up extra space....I like things square and organized ....oh my word, maybe I am a strict mom! Does my love of square containers speak into my parenting style.   Do I expect my kids to be "square and organized" (so to speak)?

So, here's to you young teenage know it all...you have me thinking....

This much I do know- I will not apologize for demanding my children be polite and respectful, which
 includes mauling a parade participant...but maybe there are some things I can review and work on. 

I am a mom under constant construction.





3 comments:

  1. Well done Tamarah! I too expect my children to be polite and respectful...not only in public but also in private. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Constant Construction". I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Tamarah! Congrats to a fellow blogger. It's fun and life-giving. And you're good, to boot!

    ReplyDelete