Monday, May 13, 2013

Memories on a mower

My husband takes care of the mowing at our house. Not because I don't want to or because I don't know how. It is just something he does.  But this mowing season has crept up on us (him) and between lack of time and uncooperative weather, our acre of land was knee deep with dandelion. Our neighbors pretended they didn't mind.  It was time for me to help, time for Tom to trust me not to run over rocks and show me how to use this mower.

Friday morning was perfect. So, being self employed I declared the day off from office work and hopped on the mower. Well, first I had to listen to a tutorial on how to operate the mower and then I was off and mowing...."yes, I'm sure I understand, I got this, go get your work done..." 

As I mowed I started thinking of my youth and all the time I spent mowing in the summer. My brother and I mowed 13 of the 20 acres we lived on...it was a project...that never ended!  As I thought of my youth I thought of the man that taught me how to mow (and so many other things), my dad. He has been gone for 4 1/2 years, but he lives in my memories.  And on this warm day in may, some of his lessons were flooding my mind. 

My mowing memories included my dads need for me to be mechanical. If I was even remotely mechanical, I would have a skill that would aid in my independence.  To his credit, I am moderately mechanical.  I can figure out how to operate equipment, tools and yes even mowers.  I have helped friends change flat tires in the pitch dark and used jumper cables to start dead cars.  

He taught me that there is a time to get dirty and a time to be "pretty".  He taught me how to work hard and that being a "girl" didn't excuse you from it.  He told me I was beautiful and made me realize that I didn't need a man to complete me.  He told me I was a prize and should be treasured and followed that up with date nights to show me how I deserve to be treated.  He treated my mom like his queen, teaching me that words should correlate with actions. He praised me when I succeeded and then challenged me to reach even higher. He made me a confident woman.  He insisted on meeting every man who wanted to date me and let those men know my importance to him.  He taught me how to dance by first standing on the tops of his feet.....he bragged to people about me whether they wanted to hear it or not. 

When first married, my car broke down on the way to work one morning. Instinctively,  I called my dad...he told me to call my husband: )...he taught me how to let go and move forward in life. 

Remembering these lessons reminds me of the things I need to be teaching my children and makes me grateful for the parent my dad was to me.  ....it's time for my kids to learn how to mow. 


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful - simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I miss my Dad too, cranky as he could be. ;-)

    ReplyDelete