Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Two Dollars

Tom needed to go.  It was a Sunday morning when he was responsible for picking out songs for the Worship Team and on those Sundays, he needs to be at church a half of an hour before the rest of us.  Typically, he handles writing a check for our offering (which is interesting, because it is the only check he writes).  On this morning, he was running late, so I told him I would take care of bringing the offering.

I looked back in the check register to see how much the previous weeks offering check was for, that way I could be consistent.  I found the entry and thought, huh, that seems like more than normal.  I looked back one more week and again thought, huh...... This amount went back for a month of Sundays (no pun intended).  I decided to take the checkbook to church with me, that way I could make sure I was giving the "right" amount.  I sat down next to my husband and quietly asked him if he realized that for the last 4 weeks he had given more than double what we normally tithe.  He looked at me, almost disgusted and said "I give what we can afford, yes, I know what I have written the checks out for"......I was convicted.  I had implied that he gave away too much of "our" money; I was ashamed of myself.  Not only is Tom generous, but when he gives, he is very purposeful and thoughtful in designating where/how he wants our offerings allocated. 

Flash forward to this past Sunday.  Another crazy Sunday morning when I was, with a slightly raised voice,  asking my children to kick it in gear, get their shoes on, grab what they need and finish that last drop of beverage in their cups.  Luke, who is my consummate dawdler, ran upstairs.  This is one of his infamous moves, "Luke, are you ready?"  to which he replies "yes" and then a minute later has realized that he doesn't have what he wants and then must run upstairs to retrieve it.....ugh, I find this so frustrating.  Anyway, this is what he did.  My response was to remind him, loudly, that he should have had everything ready.  I asked him what he was getting......"my wallet".  What? Why do you need your wallet?  We are just going to church, their is nothing there to buy....said very sarcastically.  Silence from Luke, then "mom, I know, I want to take my own money to give toward the children's offering".....Another mommy fail for me....Tucking my tail I told him that was great.

Putting his wallet in his pocket, Tom asked him how much he planned to give.  Luke said "two dollars dad".  Tom then asked him how much he had.  Luke said he had ten dollars.  My husband then explained that 10% , or one dollar would be a generous donation and that he did not have to give two dollars.  Luke thought about it and said "thanks dad, but I am still going to give two dollars".

During the offering portion of our service, the children go to the front and put their money in a big jar.  That money goes toward humanitarian projects. One year it went toward a clean water project, one year it purchased live stock for a family, you get the idea.  Luke proudly got his two dollars out and walked that money to the front.  He returned to his seat, leaned against me and just smiled.  He had just experienced the joy of giving from the heart.  Not out of obligation, or because it was required, but out of a desire to be generous with what he had....He was his father.

My eight year old has renewed  my spirit on the gift of giving and I give his father the credit for that.  Being mentored by your child is a humbling, yet proud experience.  

...Meanwhile on the other side of me sat my daughter who returned to her seat with some of her money still in hand....Um, why didn't you put that money in the jar Cora?  ..."mommy, it is so shiny, I just wanted to keep the shiny ones, I put all the others in"..... One child at a time I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Very convicted by your joyful givers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, you're back in blogland! I like it!

    At first, I thought this post was going to be that TOM was giving $2 to the offering. .. . ha. I must remember to talk to our children about the SS kids' offering - not sure I've ever talked to them about tithing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you write - it is very familiar to a similar conversation we have had at our house too!

    ReplyDelete